Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

Default How to create hyphenated page number WITHOUT using Chapter hea

In that case, why not use a chapter number? You can always format the
chapter header as hidden, so the user doesn't see it; but the number is
still available for page numbering.

"Shana" wrote in message
Thanks. This works inside the individual documents.

However, when I update my TOC, it still just displays "1" "5" for page
numbers.

How can I create hyphenated page numbers in the documents, so that they
will
appear as "1-2" "2-5" in the TOC and Index?

"Jezebel" wrote:

Here's one (of many) possibilities --

1. Define a document property using File Properties Custom. Call it
something like "DocNum" and set the value to the section number for that
document.

2. Where you want the page number to appear, use a DocProperty field:
{DocProperty DocNum}-{Page}

"Shana" wrote in message
I have a multi-section document (each section is a separate doc). I want
the
page numbering to be 1-2, 2-5, etc.

When I go to Format of Insert / Page Numbers, I've checked the boxes
for
Include Chapter Number. However, I receive an error message stating
"There
is
no chapter number to include..." My document has sections.

On the page:

it states "Usually, to get the chapter number to appear in the page
number
and table of contents, you must also display the chapter number in the
text,
as in the following: Chapter One Introduction to Cooking"

What is the exception to using Chapter numbers??

However, I know what I'm trying to do is possible because an earlier
version
of my document has this formatting. I just need to know how to recreate
the
page numbering so the TOC and Index will show blah 1-3; blahblah 2-5;
etc.

Help!!