Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Templates and Shortcut Keys

Let us know if that worked for you, as I wasn't confident in the answer! I
do know that there are differences between starting with a template from
scratch and deciding later to save a document as a template, but in most
versions, if you have a template open and Save As, the default file format
is .dot, so I'd expect that to preserve the contents of the original
template. Of course, if you were using Save As and somehow saved as .doc
instead of .dot, then that would explain the problem.

"Amy G" wrote in message
Thanks Suzanne! I never noticed that option before. I always just accepted
the default (document).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Instead of saving the template with a new filename, try this: in the New
dialog, select your template and choose Template as the type of file to
create. Your shortcut keys should then be saved in the newly created
template (I think).

"Amy G" Amy wrote in message
I have created a template and added shortcut keys for several styles. I
notice that the shortcuts seem to be attached to the template's file
name.
want to create additional templates based on the original, making only
minor
changes. When I save the new template with a new file name, the
shortcuts
disappear. Is there a way to keep the shortcuts when doing a "Save As"
of
template? Should I use a macro add the shortcuts to the additional
templates?