Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Carey G

Default Conditional record merging not working in Word 2003

I have a mail merge document I set up in Word 97 that was working fabulously
for over two years. Now that we have migrated to Word 2003, it is no longer
working.

The document pulls records from a table in an Access database. Each record
includes a field "LastRecord" and this field is set to either True or False
(-1 or 0, respectively). If the field is True, the next record gets merged
into a NEW document. If it's False, the next record gets merged into the
SAME document as the previous record. I set this up as specified in a
href="http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=105888"KB article Q105888/a, and,
like I mentioned, it was working great in Word 97.

According to the KB article, in order to allow for as many records as needed
to merge into one document, I had to have that many instances of the "set
duplicate" structure... well NOW, with Word 2003, when the merge hits the
last record in a group (LastRecord = True), it simply keeps DUPLICATING that
last record as many times as I have instances of the "set duplicate"
structure. Once that's done, it goes on to the next document as it SHOULD
have when it FIRST reached LastRecord = True.

I know KB Q105888 was specifically written for Word 97. Does anyone know if
this solution is still viable for Word 2003? If not, perhaps there is a
similar solution that would only require some slight tweeking? I'd really
hate to have to drop back and punt from square one on this particular
document.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Carey