Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default quick styles in word 2007

Note, however, that the Styles dropdown shows way more styles than most
people are interested in *and* shows them graphically (and there's no option
to change the latter).

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
"Andy Fish" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a document with 10 or so styles that I work with regularly. In
word
2003 and before there is a drop-down list of styles which I can use to
just select the style for the current paragraph, which is nice and easy.

however, in word 2007 this seems to have been replaced by the "quick
styles" toolbar which contains the standard built-in styles (which I
don't
use). I spent about 1/2 an hour changing this to have my styles in it but
the next time I came to use the word it was all set back again (or maybe
the quick styles list is stored per document - I don't know)

at the moment, the only way I can easily select the styles for paragraphs
as I'm editing the document is to have the styles window open on the
right
hand side of the document the whole time.

so what i'm looking for is a way to either (a) show the drop down styles
list like previous versions of word, or (b) have the quick styles toolbar
show the styles that are defined in the document rather than the
microsoft
built in ones

You can add the old Style box to the Quick Access Toolbar, via Office
button
| Word Options, Customize category. Under "Choose commands from," pick
"Commands Not in the Ribbon" and locate the Style command (the screen tip
shows StyleGalleryClassic). Click the Add button to display it on the QAT.
When you are done, click OK to close the dialog box.

As you've noticed, when you create a so-called Quick Style it is created
for the current document only. You can add it to the template by modifying
the style, making sure to choose the "New documents based on this
template" option before clicking OK.

To modify a style: Right-click its name in the Styles pane (or in the
Styles group of the Home ribbon), and choose Modify from the context menu.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP