Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Need Helping Creating Mailmerge File

If you respond to an ASK field the response is stored in a bookmark. That
bookmark content does not appear in the document by itself. To place the
content of a bookmark you would insert a REF field {REF Bookmarkname}.
It is possible to have that bookmark available to all records by using an \o
switch or prompt for a new one for each record - see word help under ASK

Sondra wrote:
Sorry can you expand on that a little more.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

An ASK field merely prompts for information to be entered in a
bookmark. To insert the content of a bookmark, you need a REF field.

Sondra wrote:
I have a letter that I want to merge with an records from an Access
database. I have no problem creating the fields for the mailmerge;
however, I need to be able to have the file stop at certain
locations within the letter to enter miscellaneous data. I have
tried the Fillin field and also the Ask field, but for some reason
it isn't working.

Then I learned about User forms and wondered if I could mail merge
with a userfield.

So I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to create a mailmerge and have a Userform for the
miscellaneous fields?

2. Why would my ask fields not be working? The prompts pop up, but
nothing merges into the letter.

Any help would be great.