Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Heather Heather is offline

Default Email Merge not working - Word/Outlook 2003

I thought I would add my own experience to the forum in the hope that it
helps others.

I have used email merging many times before with no problems. Then today I
experienced exactly the same problem that Mr B describes. To rectify the
problem, I also performed a Detect and Repair through Add or Remove Programs.
When the Detect and Repair was running a message popped up asking me whether
the user name and password of a new email account I had added today was
correct (its a standard message that sometimes occurs in Outlook). When
accepting the user name and password, Detect and Repair continued ad finished
its cycle. The problem was no longer and can send merged email again!

Perhaps afterall it had something to do with the fact that I had added a new
email account today which had caused the blip.

Hope this helps others.

Heather

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Well, just for the hell of it I did a Detect and Repair in Outlook and now
it's working. No idea what was wrong but oh well.

Thanks for letting me know.

That's interesting because that definitely didn't work for some others with
this problem.

It'd sure be nice if there was some sort of log or status message or
something when doing a email merge.

I agree.

Did that get added in 2007 by any chance
or is that just as invisible?

Not as far as I know. You can enable Outlook Tools|Options|Other|Advanced
Options|Enable logging (troubleshooting)

but as far as I can tell, Word does not use the Outlook object model to send
these messages (it uses MAPI, which has a close relationship with MAPI but
isn't quite the same thing) and if they don't reach Outlook, Outlook logging
probably won't help.

Peter Jamieson

"Mr B" wrote in message
Well, just for the hell of it I did a Detect and Repair in Outlook and now
it's working. No idea what was wrong but oh well.

It'd sure be nice if there was some sort of log or status message or
something when doing a email merge. Did that get added in 2007 by any
chance
or is that just as invisible?