Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mary Ann

Default Excel as mailmerge data source

OK, thanks Cindy

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?TWFyeSBBbm4=?=,

I think you're alright no matter which one you pick (as long as you don't go
and rename the sheet); I'd tend to go with the first of the two. I can't
recall having ever known why both of these show, but I'm pretty sure it has
something to do with how the OLE DB provider used to connect to Excel picks up
the sheet names. (Excel isn't a true database, so there are "oddities" when
using database stuff to interface with it.)

I am using an Excel spreadsheet as a mailmerge data source in Word 2003. I
have the field names in the first column and no blank record rows.

After I have selected the Excel file as the data source in the mailmerge
wizard, the Select Table window shows Sheet1$ and Sheet1$_

Why do I get these alternatives and does it matter which one I pick?

Wanting to understand as well as get the thing to work properly!

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org