Chuck Henrich

Default Auto-numbering keeps goofing up

I can manually correct each
question using the backspace key,

It sounds like the paragraphs that are numbered (but which you don't want to
be) are using the numbered paragraph style instead of a text (non-numbered)
style eg:

4. [numbered style] Question 3 (draw a picture)
5. [numbered style]
6. [numbered style]
7. [numbered style]
8. [numbered style] Question 4 (fill in the blank)
9. [numbered style]

Whereas what you really want is:

4. [numbered style] Question 3 (draw a picture)
5. [text - not numbered - style]
6. [text - not numbered - style]
7. [text - not numbered - style]
8. [numbered style] Question 4 (fill in the blank)
9. [text - not numbered - style]

To check this switch to Normal view and you should see the "Style area" on
the left of your Word window showing the style name for each paragraph. If
you don't, go to Tools Options View and set the "Style area width" field
to something like 2cm/1inch (or whatever) so that you can see the styles
listed.

To fix this change the style for all the paragraphs you don't want to be
numbered to Normal or whatever style you use for text.

To fix your numbered style so that it automatically switches to the text
style whenever you press enter/return:

Choose Format Style Modify [whatever your numbered styles is] and choose
your text style in the "Style for following paragraph" field in the "Modify
Style" dialog.

HTH

--
Chuck Henrich
www.ProductivityApps.com

"Gary Burton" wrote:

I am creating a long numbered list of questions for my students. I must
use auto-numbering because I add and delete questions as well as moving them
around. I type up the questions using auto-numbering as follows:

1. Question 1
a. Answer 1
b. Answer 2
c. Answer 3

2. Question 2
a. Answer 4
b. Answer 5

3. Question 3 (draw a picture)

4. Question 4 (fill in the blank)

Then I sometimes need to do a paragraph formating operation. When I do,
the whole system gets messed up as follows:

1.
2. Question 1
a. Answer 1
b. Answer 2
c. Answer 3
d.
3. Question 2
a. Answer 4
b. Answer 5
c.
4. Question 3 (draw a picture)
5.
6.
7.
8. Question 4 (fill in the blank)
9.

I have tried everything I can think of, including reading all the
posting on these two newsgroups; but I have not found a solution. I have
looked at all the choices in "paragraph formating" and in "bullets and
numbering" and tried many of the options. I can manually correct each
question using the backspace key, but we are talking about a whole homework
book with hundreds of questions in it and this thing happens all too often.

Please help!!!!

--
Gary Burton