Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default current preferences (?) error messages (Word 2007)

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm. Try
everything suggested even if you don't think it is relevant.

http://word.mvps.org

"dachef" wrote in message
Every time I try to open word I get the dreaded 'microsoft has encountered
problem...' box, followed by a box that says: 'a has detected a problem
with some of the current preferences. Would you like to restore these
preferences to their default values?', and then a y/n box. Whether I say y
or
n it makes no difference - Word will not open.

After much consternation and web searching I am no closer to righting
this.
I have deleted all temporary files. Someone suggested deleting the data
key,
but it did not exist.

I managed to open Word eventually by using a command: winword.exe /a and
changed the template name, but still no luck.

I am completely lost without a working copy of Word. Why it has suddenly
stopped working is a mystery. It was fine all day, I left the computer for
2
hours and when I came back it was like this. The microsoft website is no
help
whatsoever, as the only solution it has for this problem is for word
2000-2003, and the pathways it describes do not apply for Word 2007.

If anyone out there can help I would very much appreciate it, as I am at
the
end of my tether!