Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan

Default My boss hasn't used Styles, what is the solution?

Dear Suzanne
Thanks for your comments. I always enjoy reading your FAQ and tutorials
which are very informative for me.
I did as you mentioned and most of those formatting disappeared. Thanks for
that. Now I want to change the style of a paragraph let say its style is
Arial (complex) Arial 12 bold (and this has no stlye name. Is it possible to
assign a name at this stage?) to another stlyle let say Arial (complex) Arial
12 (this one also has no style name). I put the curser in desired paragraph
and select the desired style from task pan (in far right). I expect to see
the change but nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong or there is
something more I have to consider.
One more question. there is a style symbol at the end of each style (namely
"a", I suppose for character style and a "return " symbol for paragraph
style). Is it possible to change these symbols in other words to Convert a
character symbol (style) to a Paragraph symbol (style)?
Thanks for all your contribution to Word Users.
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Part of what you're seeing in the Styles and Formatting dialog (or Styles
dropdown) is probably "formatting" rather than styles. You can cut out a lot
of this underbrush by clearing the check box for "Keep track of formatting"
on the Edit tab of Tools | Options. Applying correct styles should remove
the direct formatting; if it doesn't, selecting the text and pressing
Ctrl+Spacebar and Ctrl+Q will certainly do so.

"Khoshravan" wrote in message
My impression
I read the tutorial written by Charles Kyle Kenyon in

http://addbalance.com/
about the importance of style. I was aware of that and have used styles to
some extent but after reading that I have decided not to make a file
(especially a long one) without using styles.

My problem
My boss has given a 500 page word file in 12 files standing for 12

chapters
of a report. He has asked me to amend different spacing and fonts in
different parts of the report and make it unique to look same. I thought
using the style could be the best solution. Original files dont have

styles.
When I open the style box many ugly hand-formatted styles with no name
occurs. I thought it would be possible to select paragraphs and change

their
styles from style window but it didnt work as I think the main style are
same but different paragraphs has minor changes. So what is your

suggestion
for me? Shall I define a new style and go through all paragraphs and

change
them? Is there any VBA solution to it automatically?
Also one more question: I want to know about the general fee of those who

do
this job as paid consultancy. TIA

--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar