Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
davcmo davcmo is offline

Default Merge comparison operators missing

Graham, thanks for responding so quickly. Here's the scoop:

merge step 2 - select recipients/use existing list, select an Excel file
(I'm sure that any file would work (Access, etc.)
Insert Word Field
If...Then...Else
Comparison - Here's where the Contains and Does not contain no longer exists

I am looking at a copy of page 579 from a manual of some sort (?!?) that
talks about comparison operators in Word and lists these two items and their
explanations. They are last in the list, following Is not blank.

Could it be that the last office update got rid of these as they could be a
wildcard/security risk? I checked Word 2007 and it doesn't have it either...

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Often uses them? I don't recall that it was ever possible to resolve part of
a field in Word, though to a limited extent you can use wildcards.

davcmo wrote:
Hello. One of my co-workers performs mailmerges in Word 2003 using
excel files. She often uses the Contains and Does not contain
operators. She can no longer see them. I tried a merge on my
computer and cannot see these options either. They used to appear at
the bottom of the list of operator choices. Any idea where they
went/how I can get them back? Did an update lay them to watse?