Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
bilabong! bilabong! is offline

Default How to? Embedded Word (e-mail merge) Doc with tie to table in main Spreadsheet (.XLS)

Anyone with an Idea on how to make this work?

I've been using a mail merge for several different types of request
replies and have been copying the contact data from the main .XLS to a
local reusable .XLS and open up the needed reply which links to the
local spreadsheet. Doing real well with the process for over a year
now but need a way to share the process with others when I'm away.

I keep the main .XLS I work with on a shared e-room that my peers use
and want to set it up so that they can use the standard replies without
having to set up the mail merge on each of their machines and ensure
that any changes to the standard replies, as necessary, are updated in
one place.

I've embedded the Word docs within separate tabs of the main .XLS and
want to link the mail-merge information back to another tab within the
same main .XLS so that when they open up the main .XLS , insert the
requests (from another queue) and then copy the appropriate rows into
the "Response Table" tab, then open up the embedded Word Doc (same main
..XLS, different tab, for ease of use) and have the data from the
"Response Table" tab merge into the document.

I realize I will probably need to rebuild my external documents but
setting up the source link is where I run into trouble (actually, I
don't know where to link it to start adding the fields)

Thanks for taking the time if you have answers.

BK