Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Clyde Clyde is offline

Default Word .doc appears as doc.x . How do I change it back?

You're saying my Word2007 is incompatible with Word 2003? HOW do I "save" as
Word 97-2003 doc format if I'm using Word 2007? I was going to ask Microsoft,
but I CANNOT find my product "number" (the KEY apparently isn't enough) so I
can't get help from MS. Typical. They make it beyond difficult.
Is there a way I can tell recipients to click something and .docx becomes
readable to them if they have Word 2003 instead of 2007? THANKS for ANY help.
I've been unable to get anywhere solving this problem and am frantic to send
some materials to a publisher who requires e-mail submissions. Yet CANNOT
open .docx.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you have Word 2007 they will probably be .docx (as opposed to doc.x)
which is the default format for that Word version. To change this you need
to save as Word 97-2003 doc format.

clyde wrote:
I prepare Word documents. When I attach them to e-mails to send,
instead of ".doc", they appear as "doc.x" or .doc.x". I do I change
this back, since many cannot open "doc.x"?