Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MrsMac MrsMac is offline

Default Switches/field codes to fix zip code in merge

I reformatted the zip field to numbers, then ran the merge with the switches
previously detailed. The zips that were showing up as four digits in Excel
converted just fine to five digits. But my nine-digit zips changed to five
zeroes. I thought this might be because of the hyphen, but when I remove the
hyphen and run the merge, I get nine straight numbers.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

What does a nine digit zip display in the merge without the switch?
The conditional field will only produce the require result if it produces
nine digits
123456789
if it produces
000000000
00000
12345-1234
then it is not going to work as it stands. It will probably work best if the
column is formatted as simple numbers.

If the data is correctly displayed in Excel then From the Tools menu in
Word, select Options and then go to the General tab and check the box
against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. Then when you attach the
data source to the mail merge main document, you will be given the option of
using the DDE method of connection which should read the data as you have it
formatted in the table.

MrsMac wrote:
Thanks -- it worked, sort of. I get five-digit zips instead of
four-digit ones. But it doesn't merge the nine-digit ones. I get five
zeros instead. Is this because I have the field formatted as Zip Code
instead of Zip Code + Four? When I change the format to Zip + Four,
all my five-digit zips turn into five zeroes, a hyphen, then FOUR
numbers of the five-digit zip code. My database is over 5000 entries
-- too many to go through and change it all by hand -- there's got to
be a better way!

How can something so seemingly simple be so difficult to fix?!

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

This

{ IF {MERGEFIELD ZIP } 99999" { MERGEFIELD ZIP \# "00000'-'0000"
}" "{ MERGEFIELD ZIP \# "00000" }"}

should be more like this

{ IF {MERGEFIELD ZIP } 99999 "{ MERGEFIELD ZIP \# "00000'-'0000"
}" "{ MERGEFIELD ZIP \# "00000" }"}

Everything else looks OK to me (as ong as /all/ the {} are the sort
you enter with ctrl-F9)) although I would probably lay it out either
as

{ IF { MERGEFIELD ZIP } 99999 "{ MERGEFIELD ZIP \#"00000'-'0000"
}" "{ MERGEFIELD ZIP \# "00000" }" }
or
{ IF { MERGEFIELD ZIP } 99999 "{ MERGEFIELD ZIP \# "00000'-'0000"
}" "{ MERGEFIELD ZIP \# "00000" }" }

primarily becasue Word itself usually has space after { and before }

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"MrsMac" wrote in message
Office 2003
I've been reading a lot on Graham's site about fixing zip codes,
but using switches and field codes is all new to me and I can't
figure it out. I keep
getting the error message "Error! Missing test condition" when I
toggle back.
I'm trying to get an Excel list that has 5-digit zips and 9-digit
zips to print out properly in a label merge. Here's what I have for
the last line of
merge fields:

{ MERGEFIELD CITY }, {MERGEFIELD STATE } { IF {MERGEFIELD ZIP }
99999" { MERGEFIELD ZIP \# "00000'-'0000" }" "{ MERGEFIELD ZIP \#
"00000" }"}

I'm using Ctrl F9 for the brackets, I've entered the above from
Graham's site, but am not sure about spacing, etc.

Thanks for any help -- Mrsmac