Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
zebro zebro is offline

Default Very difficult issue for me...

Borders or no borders, the table will still shift-- granted that when there
are no borders, the shift is less.. thanks for your reply. That insight has
me looking at this from a different perspective. Your help is greatly
appreciated.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do these merged cells have borders?

"zebro" wrote in message
You'll note that, as I explained, I am merging these original 4 pt. rows

create larger rows -- I start off with smaller rows so that I can create
columns with different numbers of rows in the same table and each column
still ends up the same height. Perhaps I'm making this harder than I need
to, but I still need an answer to my original question, which is.. Why,

when
I merge cells in my last column, does the whole table expand vertically by

few pixels? Thanks in advance for any help...

"Jezebel" wrote:

You're creating a table that's too complex for Word to deal with
comfortably.

What are you actually trying to achieve with this zany layout? Not a

table,
obviously, because you can't put any text in a 4 point row.

"zebro" wrote in message
I have 20 rows in a table with 3 columns set exactly at a height of 4
points.

I merge 4 rows in the first column 5 times to create Five rows, each

the
same size as the four original rows. Everything is okay. I merge 5

rows
in
the 2nd column 4 times to create 4 rows, each the same size as the

five
original rows and everything stays okay. When I go to merge any

number of
rows in the third column, it causes my entire table to increase in

size
3-10
pixels, throwing off the document layout--

I've tried this on several computers with the same result to rule out

bad
Office install, or changed settings.

What's going on? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Any help would

be
greatly appreciated.