Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Insert page number in footer

On the Insert tab, click Page Number, point at the location in which you
want to insert the page number, then select a page number from the gallery.

If you want to insert a page number in your own position, right-click the
header or footer and click Edit Header/Footer. Then on the Design tab, click
Page Number, and use the Current Position gallery.

To return to the document, double-click the body of the document.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton

What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

"Tom Smith" tomDOTsmith68AT@verizonDOTnet wrote in message
Word 2007 under Win XP

I want to be able to insert a page number in a footer in a spot of my own
choosing. This was relatively straightforward in previous versions of
Word. Now, though, I don't seem to be able to do it without having to work
through one of the built-in styles that Word 07 offers with
headers/footers. Is there a way past this, or am I stuck with what Word
offers? Seems a little confining.

Thx, as always, for help.

Tom