Jeff

Thanks for the info.

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
If you are getting the question about saving changes to the template
because of style changes it is because you are telling Word make changes
to the template by checking the box in the style modification dialog. Stop
doing this.

Also make sure under Tools Templates and Add-Ins that the checkbox for
updating styles automatically upon opening is not checked, or you will
lose any changes you make that you don't save back to your template.

http://addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Jeff" wrote in message
This is a rather basic question, but I do not know the answer to it. I'm
using Word 2002 from Office XP.

I am in the early stages of writing what will be a long document (400+
pages) for which I want special style definitions (Headings formats,
etc.). I do not plan to use these settings for any other documents. If I
change the style settings while working within that document, will they
still be available there after I save and close the document and then
reopen it to add more text, or do I need to create a special template
just for that document for the style changes to remain what I changed
them to?

I vaguely remember that when I change styles in a document, Word asks me
on saving if I want to change the default template doc. I do not want
these changes for the default document template, just for this one.

Thanks.