Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default AutoTextList Bug in Word 2003?

Hi Bob,

I think you're right, it's buggy. I tried reproducing what you described.
While I didn't get exactly the same results, it didn't behave very nicely at
all. I was able to get just the "AE Name+Address" autotextlist to show just
the entries for that style, but the "AE Name(Header)" autotextlist and that
category in the AutoText menu included entries from some other unrelated
style. When I went into the AutoText dialog and deleted a couple of the
unrelated entries, both AE groups started showing all the defined entries
from every style!

This is behavior I haven't seen before. I don't know whether the similarity
of the style names, or the non-alphabetic characters in them, might be
confusing Word. They're perfectly valid names according to the rules. But
you might want to experiment with using different style names.

Bob W wrote:
Jay Freedman" wrote:
Exactly what does the field code of the autotextlist popup say?

The field code text that I typed in when I created the autotextlist,
was: { AutoTextList "RightClickHere" \s "AE Name(Header)" \t
"RightClickHere" }

Curiously, if I use Alt-F9 to display the field code, the Field
Default Value part of this text is always missing (that's another
thing that has always puzzled me)... Once saved, if you redisplay it,
the field code always gets truncated to:
{ AutoTextList \s "AE Name(Header)" \t "RightClickHere" }

And what are the actual names of the styles you assigned to the two
groups of entries?

The actual style names a

AE Name(Header) (the style used when defining 11 autotextlist items)
AE Name+Address (the style used when defining 11 autotext items)

Nevetheless, both the Autotext Menu, and the AutoTextList, display
all 22 items.

BTW, I am putting the autotextlist in the document template
header....but even if I copy/paste it into the body of the template,
it still displays all 22 items.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman