Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
WebColin70 WebColin70 is offline

Default Any way to change the undo duration in Word 2007?

Are you saying that Undo still removes whole words or phrases with the
repeat delay set to its minimum setting on your system?

On 2 separate Vista (SP2) computers now, I have confirmed that this changes
the way Word 2007 reacts to Undo. Other programs do not change when changing
this setting, only Word 2007 (12.0.6504.5000 SP2 MSO (12.0.6425.1000)).

- Colin

I do not see that setting making any difference to the functioning of Undo
here.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"WebColin70" wrote in message
news
On further investigation, I think it relates to the setting in the
Keyboard control panel, at least in Vista (all updates and SP's
applied) -- if that's set to the minimum delay between keypresses, it
changes how Undo works in Word. It does not change how Undo works in
Outlook, Live Mail, or any other application.

I think this qualifies as a bug in Word 2007, if others can reproduce it.

Just go to Start | Control Panel | Keyboard | Speed tab, and set the
Repeat delay all the way to Short (I also happen to have the Repeat rate
all the way to Fast, but I don't think that's related). Then in word,
type a few words. Then hit undo. It will undo a character at a time.

If you then change the Repeat delay to anything longer that Short, Word
will work as expected.

Again, this problem seems limited to Word, even the other Office 2007
applications don't have this problem. At the very least, it's
inconsistent.

- Colin

That is not the way that undo works in 2007 here.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"WebColin70" wrote in message
news I posted a similar question about a week ago, but no one answered.

In Word 2007, after typing new or replacement text, Undo (whether by
the button in the Quick Access bar, Ctrl-Z, or Alt-Backspace) always
just removes 1 character at a time, which I find too slow for reverting
text.

Is there a way to change this so Undo removes a word or other larger
block at a time instead of a character at a time? That's how it works
in the Outlook 2007 e-mail editor (and Live Mail for posting to this
newsgroup) and I swear that's how it always worked in previous versions
of Word, unless I paused for a long time between each character I
typed.

Am I right that this is new behavior in Word 2007?

Thanks,
Colin