Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default user editable tables in protected documents

You missed the implications of Charles's use of the word "section." You must
insert section breaks around the part you want to leave unprotected. Then
when you use Tools | Protect Document, you have a choice of which sections
to protect.

"Richard" wrote in message
"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
:

You can make a section of what Word calls an online
form unprotected. To do this you have to use Tools Protect Document
rather than just click on the lock button on the toolbar.

Thanks for your reply. I read the online help page about this. It seems
that making areas of a document unprotected is only possible when you
select "Comments" rather than "forms", at least, the "exceptions" boxes
only appear when "comments" is selected (Word 2003).

I know it must be possible to do this because I have a form where this
is done. I have uploaded a small part of it to my web site at:
http://www.festiveroad.net/sample table.doc
If you examine it it is actually three tables and the centre one is
editable. There are no macros or any other customisations in the
document.

The "no blank space" requirement is not surmountable so far as I know.

I think I have solved this one. It seems if you create a new table
immediately below an existing one and use a different style for the new
table, it is created as a separate table immediately below the existing
one.

--
Richard.