Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cayce cayce is offline

Default prevent Word 97 adding tab stop

I looked and that setting was not checked under compatibility.

For grins, I just pulled the Word added tab off the ruler in the offending
paragraph. I then added below the problem paragraph another non-numbering
style parapraph followed by a numbered style paragraph. When I set the
newest numbered parapragh to restart numbering, the tab was added in again by
Word.

Any other places this might be defined that allows Word to keep doing this?

Thanks in advance.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There's a compatibility option (Tools | Options | Compatibility) "Don't add
automatic tab stop for hanging indent." Would that help? Note, too, that you
don't really have to clear the Paragraph dialog, just be aware that any
settings you make there will be overridden by the settings in the Numbering
dialog.

"cayce" wrote in message
Thanks for the information. I am still having a problem with Word

inserting a
tab. Here's what I did to the offending style.
1st, changed the left alignment setting to 0 in the paragraph dialog (it

had
been set to match the number position in the outline numbering dialog of

..95)
2nd, changed the hanging indent under special to none (it had been set to
the match the text position in the outline numbering dialog of 1.15)
3rd, went to the tabs dialog and said clear all
4th, verified in the numbering outline numbering customize dialog that

the
number position (.95) and text position (1.15) were still set to what they
had been previously defined. They were.
5th, went back to the paragraph dialog and saw that the hanging indent I

had
set to none in step 2 was back and was set to .2 ( this .2 measurement isn

the actual distance from the left margin, but IS the correct distance when
measured from the number position set in the outline numbering)

The result was Word added a left tab stop at 1.2 (slightly to the right)

of
the left indent and hanging indent.

How can I prevent Word from doing this.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Indents in numbered styles must be set in the Numbering dialog, not in

the
Paragraph dialog. Make sure that the indent (or tab stop) in your

numbered
paragraphs is set the same as the unnumbered paragraphs.

First-line and hanging indents are not "tab stops." The position of all

tab
stops is set relative to the left margin, irrespective of any paragraph
indent. You can most easily see how Word treats measurements in

first-line
and hanging indents by dragging the appropriate markers on the ruler and
then looking at the settings in the Paragraph dialog.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"cayce" wrote in message
How can I prevent Word 97 from ADDING a tab position to a numbering

style
have created. It happens whenever I tell Word to restart the numbering
when a
numbered list is separated from a previous numbered list by

intervening
paragraphs of a different style. The result is the 1st line of the
paragraph
is indented slightly more than the rest of the lines in the paragraph
which
are controlled by the hanging indent tab.

Secondly, when a tab stop is defined in a paragraph style, what is the
exact
reference point it is using to measure from? Does this reference point
vary
whether defining a hanging indent versus first line indent?

Any ideas on this would be helpful.