Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PamC PamC is offline

Default How to apply HeadingX to all paragraphs containing search string

Your5 method could also create lots of unlinked styles. Not so good.
Instead create (I would just record) a macro that finds the string, deselects
the string by moving the cursor, and then applies the style. (As long as the
cursor is in the ppg--but has nothing selected--the style will apply to the
entire paragraph.) Then edit the code to make it loop. I got my tips on
how to do that from an Editorium.com article
(blog.editorium.com/2002/03/20/repeating-macros/) though I suspect that the
Word MVP site has similar helps.

PamC

"Paul" wrote:

I'm using wildcards to highlight all paragraphs containing a certain
string expression. I then click on Heading 1 (or 2, or whatever
number) to apply the Heading 1 style. This doesn't make the paragraph
into a Heading 1 paragraph. After some experimenting, I realized it's
because the highlighted portions do not encompass the whole
paragraph. I have many such style applications to do, for various
heading levels, each relying on the Find function to highlight a
certain string expression in all applicable paragraphs. Is there a
way to accomplish this?

Thanks.