Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

Default Problem with lower case umlauts.

G'Day Dale

My guess is that you have CAPS Lock on, or have Formatted the Font to
display as All Caps.

Be clear that the process is CTRL + : followed by letter - either upper or
lower case.

(Since : is SHIFT + ; this equates to CTRL + SHIFT + ; although I feel
that that muddies the water.)
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Dale Magnant" wrote in message
Hello,

I am using Office 2003/SP2 with XP/SP2.

While using Word, I can use the Ctrl+Shift+:,letter method to generate
uppercase letters with an umlaut. However, I cannot use this method to
create lowercase letters with umlauts.

I've seen various instruction on what one should do to for lowercase
letters. Some say use Ctrl+:, letter. This persists in giving an uppercase
umlauted letter. I've tried this and seemingly every other conceivable
combination, and everything gives uppercase only.

Even if I go to Insert/Symbol and pick a lower case umlauted character from
the symbol chart and click insert, I still get an uppercase character.

Specifically I just want to be able to insert lowercase umlauted a,u, and o
without having to resort to the Alt + numeric code method.

Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution?

--
Thank You,
Dale