Doug Robbins

Hi Albert,

I think it's a case of new Word OLD mailmerge. I haven't done anything with
XML myself, but I do know that fellow MVP Bill Coan has done quite a bit
with it, so I suggest that you ping him on the subject as I don't think that
I have ever seen him in this Newsgroup.

Doing a search on Google for XML Mail Merge in the microsoft.public.*
newsgroups however does not turn up anything that would indicate that xml
can be used directly with mailmerge.

My standard response to anyone who has the data in Access and wants to do
this sort of thing (invoices) is to use Access.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Albert D. Kallal" wrote in message
Does anyone have an example, or "link" to a xml merge example for word?

What I am looking for is the "classic" invoice, or "repeating" data type
merge.

That means you have some single fields like Address, Name, Company, and
then you have a set of repeating fields:

PackageName Qty Price
Apples 12 $5.00
Oranges 6 $4.00

Etc. etc.

It seems to me that since XML models the type of data very nicely..I am
wondering if word 2003 can use merge fields with this xml data..and you
can get this repeating data into a "table" (hopefully with a minimal
amount of fuss..and code). Can the new word handle this xml type data for
merge fields..and "repeat" data for one letter with one customer...but
"many" detail lines?
(or, do we still have to write code to do this?).

Any good examples of the above type problem...and a xml mail merge to
word?

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada