Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Date/Time Field

The code reproduced has little to do with the Insert Date function. The
character has nothing to do with whether the date will update or not. That
is determined by

If chkDate.Value = True Then

which refers to an object chkDate which is not defined in the section of
code you have reproduced and presumably refers to a user checked box in the
document or in a userform and based on whether the value is true or false
(checked or not) the date is either inserted as a field or as text defined
elsewhere in txtDDate.Value

If you merely want to insert a date field, as the thread implies then

Selection.InsertDateTime DateTimeFormat:="MMMM d, yyyy",
InsertAsField:=True

is the code required to do that.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
An ordinary DATE field would update each time the document was opened
(or at least any time that fields were updated, as when printing or
switching to Print Preview or, if it was in the header or footer,
every time the document was repaginated). Someone with some VBA
knowledge will have to interpret the macro for you; ASCII character
31 is a nonprinting character, "unit separator," apparently used in
Word as the "optional hyphen" (Ctrl+-).

"Rosemary" wrote in message
Hi again,

Here is the code for the date field -- I think the line I am curious
about is: Selection.TypeText Text:=Chr(31)

'Date
With Selection
.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles("Normal")
If chkDate.Value = True Then 'they checked insert as field
.InsertDateTime DateTimeFormat:="MMMM d, yyyy",
InsertAsField:=True
Selection.TypeText Text:=Chr(31)
ElseIf chkDate.Value = False Then 'they did not check
insert as field
.TypeText Text:=txtDDate.Value
End If
.TypeParagraph
End With

Best regards,
Rosemary

"Rosemary" wrote:

Hi Suzanne,

Thank you - that was very helpful. The site explained the
differences very well.

What we have in the template I talked about is a date code that
updates every time you open the document (which is what we need -
sorry, I may not have explained clearly).

I noticed the site said you can update on print, but not
necessarily on opening the document. I believe that "hyphen-like"
character that appears just after the date code, included by the
template's creator, is what gets the field to update each time the
document is opened ...?

Regards,
Rosemary

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

For inserting a date in the header or footer, there is an Insert
Date button on the Header and Footer toolbar (this button could
also be added to any toolbar). Anywhere in a document, you can use
the Alt+Shift+D keyboard shortcut. Both the button and the
shortcut insert a DATE field using the format you have selected as
the default in the Insert | Date and Time dialog.

Note, however, that a DATE field is probably not what you want.
What you describe is a CREATEDATE field. For more on date fields,
see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/DateFields.htm. There is
no built-in shortcut for inserting this field, but you can insert
the field in the usual way (by hand or through the Insert | Field
dialog), formatted as desired, and then save it as an AutoText
entry; see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm.
Once you've created the AutoText entry, there are several ways you
can insert it. The usual way is just to type the first four
letters of the entry name (which should be something you wouldn't
otherwise be typing) and press Enter or (in Word 2007) F3, but you
can also assign a keyboard shortcut or toolbar button through
Tools | Customize in versions before Word 2007.

For letters and other documents that should always include the
creation date, put the CREATEDATE field in the document template.
It will not update in the template itself but will show the
creation date of each document based on the template.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Rosemary" wrote in message
Hi,

Two questions please:

We have Windows XP and Word 2003

1. How can I create a quick keystroke or toolbar button to put a
basic date code (e.g., November 11, 2007) in my document?

2. I am curious about a technical aspect of the automatically
updating date/time field. I saw a template where a date code was
inserted when you created it. But the date code had a
hyphen-like character (code?) just after the field. Someone told
me that the field doesn't know to automatically update unless
this hyphen-like character/code is there. But when I put a date
field in my document by going thru the Insert menu, I don't see a
character like that appearing after the code. Can someone tell
me what that "hyphen" actually is, and how it works?

Thanks!
Rosemary