Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default How do I insert: A {a symbol (member of)} B

If you're using the equation writer (Alt+=), this character has a Math
AutoCorrect shortcut. Type \subseteq and then press the spacebar.

In regular text, you have two possibilities. One is to go to Office button
Word Options Proofing AutoCorrect Options Math AutoCorrect, and check
the box to use Math AutoCorrect in regular text; then use the \subseteq
shortcut.

The other way is to type the number 2286 and then press Alt+X. The way to
find this and similar symbols is to click Insert Symbol More Symbols to
open the dialog; set the font to Cambria Math; set the Subset to
Mathematical Operators; and scroll through the display. When you find the
character you want, you can click it and click the Insert button, or you can
note the shortcut key (or set a different one), or you can add an
AutoCorrect entry to insert it.

Besides Cambria Math, you'll find this character in Arial Unicode MS and in
Lucida Sans Unicode.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Phil wrote:
I'm try to write an equation where A is a "subset" of ? using the
horizontal member with an equals line under it.

I've look at math symbols and Word 2007 equation writer, but I don't
see the symbol.

Is there one?