Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default how do I remove the file name after deleting the file

Its full name is ToolsCustomizeRemoveMenuShortcut. That's a throwback to the
days of WordBasic, when commands were named according to the menu/submenu on
which they lived; this one was in the Tools Customize menu and has the
function of removing a menu item. I don't know why MS chose "Shortcut" rather
than "Item", but software engineers aren't necessarily good at consistency in
user interface design :-) (cf. Alan Cooper's "The Inmates Are Running the
Asylum").

As a coda to this discussion, if you accidentally misuse the big dash (a.k.a.
the destructive cursor), read http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/LostSymbol.htm
for recovery instructions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 4 May 2008 12:35:15 -0700 (PDT), grammatim
wrote:

According to the table of all keyboard shortcuts, that is "Customize
Remove Menu Shortcut." I defy anyone to explain what "customize remove
menu shortcut" means.

On May 4, 2:56*pm, "Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:
If you're using Word 2003 or earlier, press Ctrl+Alt+dash (top row between 0
and + sign). This turns the mouse pointer into a big dash. Click File, then
use that dash to click on the file you want to remove from the list of
recent documents.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"ripnor" wrote in message

After deleting a file the file name still remains in the recent documents
list *how do I remove the file name also-