Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rndthought

Default Word should catalog misspelled words to study.

Greg,

We all headed underground eventually, just a matter of time. I defer to my
Tony response but in an attempt to not spoil all your fun, will respond to a
couple of things.

As for my "half to" mistake, kudos. Im only looking at misspelled words.
Misspelled words that are actually another word would seemingly fall to the
grammar department in this case. Hay, maybe a grammar mistake logger!!!
Nothing is 100% and I dont expect that from anything. Nothing substitutes
for proof reading. However, Ill bet a pint that the next version of MS Word
will catch that very mistake in its already existing impressive grammar check
feature.

And I would not take that bet! No doubt Microsoft could change the rotation
of the earth were it their whim. But all of this is neither here nor there.
Im only saying it would be a great feature, I see merit in it. Im not
equipped to lay out how to implement it or how much it would cost.

However, what little I do know seems to say it would not be that difficult.
The majority of the infrastructure is already present. MS Word already
checks every word against the dictionary in real time and designates
unrecognized words with red underlines. The text to voice feature is there.
How hard would it be to log every time a red underlined word is changed to a
recognized word and then have them sounded back? For sure it will be more
complicated than I imagine but not bog the system down intensive.

Certainly implementing alterations using VBA may be far beyond both of our
capabilities (I hope you didnt feel I was asking you to?) but this may be a
very simple thing for somebody like a MS programmer!

You never know till you ask.

Thanks for the comments Greg! And for what it is worth, your List Spelling
Errors mod is a great little item. I have two people interested in it
already and for two entirely different reasons!

"Greg" wrote:

If joining (or re-joining a healthy fray) is debasement, then I to am
heading to de basement ;-).
You and Tony both appear to enjoy a good argument. So what's good for
the goose is good for the gander.

Personnally I am a terrible speller (actually I know how to spell, but
I am a careless typer and poor proofreader). I noticed with amusement
that you emphasize your spelling of "half to." Ok, half is spelled
correctly, but the English teacher would still make a mark on your
paper.

How would the enhanceement to Word you propose handle that? ;-)

I would wager heavily that the powers at Microsoft have the wherewithal
create a spelling enhancer like you envison, but at the end of the day
I don't feel that they will do so for the reasons that Suzanne and Tony
have put forth. I will add that it certainly isn't something that I
would want to pay extra for.

The List Spelling Errors Addin that I have posted on my website was
more a result of my personal efforts to learn how to use Class Modules
in VBA than enhance my spelling. Yes it is limited. I thought about
the enhancements that you recommended and quickly realized that
achieving them was far beyond my capability.