Graham Mayor

As you are beginning to discover, you can get yourself into a hopeless
tangle if you try to change the Windows filename extensions. Windows
associates applications by extension and even tries (by default) to hide the
extensions from you.

When you open your WP files in Word, save them with the extension DOC as
intended. Windows allows sufficiently long filenames to enable you to
determine content and/or you can use separate folders to identify different
types. You can use full stops (periods) in the filename, so you could (if
you must) save them as wpfilename.ext.doc.

To see *.* filenames in the save as dialog enter *.* in the filename box and
press TAB

citizen53 wrote:
I have used Wordperfect for many years and named my files with my own
extensions (not .doc or .wpf). I am converting to Word 2003 and now
want to save some form letters and other files in the new format.
But the "save as" menu window will not show all files (*.*) so I can
overwrite the existing files. Is it even possible to see all the
files already present in a subdirectory, no matter the extension?