Island Girl

Default Formatting nightmares

Our office has just installed a scanner that converts documents to Word in
..rtf format. Many of the happy users save the documents onto the network in
that format. However, when those documents come to me for revisions with a
request either to add or change automatic numbering, TOC, etc., formatting
nightmares appear.

Am I wrong in suggesting that if the documents€”and they are long legal
ones€”are to remain in stable condition, they should be put into unformatted
text and THEN formatted before placing them onto the system?

Thank you for this and all of your past help!