Lani

Default Merge the last 4 digits of a number that contains a hyphen

I use Microsoft Word 2002 (XP). I am trying to merge the last 4 digits of a
number that in some cases includes a hyphen. The following switch works if
the number does not contain a hyphen i.e. Number = 123456789:
{QUOTE "XXXX"{MERGEFIELD Number \# x####}} field result = XXXX6789
When the number contains a hyphen Word subtracts the last number from the
four numbers that precede the hyphen i.e. 12345678-9 the field result =
XXXX5669. How can I make Word ignore the hyphen and merge the field result =
XXXX678-9?