Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default What about character styles?

I believe that Word 2007 offers a way to revert to character style; at least
this was one of the scenarios we discussed with Stuart Stuple. I forget
where to find the dialog in Word 2007, but there is a dialog that allows you
to clear formatting selectively.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Character styles can be used to apply character formatting (font,
size, etc.) to part of a paragraph.

Like paragraph styles, character styles help you apply consistent
formatting to text. And of course, modifying a character style
immediately reformats any text where that style is applied.

There are also built-in character styles. For example, apply the
built-in Emphasis character style to format important terms in italic.

A downside to character styles is that there is no way to "revert to
character style". In other words, there is nothing which corresponds
to Ctrl+SpaceBar (which clears font formatting not in the paragraph
style).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"srd" wrote in message newsp.tb3rdlsitfv13d@jq0arm4...
Although I use paragraph styles religiously, I have never used

character
styles. Is there anything to be gained generally by using them, or

do
users invoke them only for special purposes?

Stephen R. Diamond