Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Martin-S Martin-S is offline

Default Word 2004 Mac: page background image prints washed out or pixelated

In article ,
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, setting it Behind Text alone doesn't make it a watermark; if you haven't
changed the color setting, then it shouldn't *print* washed out, though it
will be displayed that way because the background image is part of the
header.

The culprit appears to be a colour-management issue.

After the laser printer failed so miserably - I'm not being picky, but
the print looked twice as bright - I tried a desktop inkjet and our 24"
roll printer.

The desktop inkjet was way off just like the laser, but the 24" printer
was almost spot on; shame that those aren't more common in office
environments.

The image format (PNG, TIFF, JPG etc.) didn't seem to matter by the way.

And another interesting little detail: if I create a PDF from Word
first, it prints well on *all* printers.

Go figure...

--
Martin