Doug Robbins

Re 1, are you saying that you want the Directory to appear in the Header of
the document? I haven't tried it and I guess from what you say, you have,
and it doesn't work. I think that there is your answer.

Re 2, the borders that I set up in the table in the mailmerge main document
(above and below only) are faithfully replicated in the document produced by
executing the merge. I assume that you are not mixing up the borders with
the gridlines that can be turned off from the Tables menu.

Re 3, {SEQ} fields are destroyed by the mailmerge process. If you do an
Alt+F9 in the document produced by the merge, you will see that there are no
{SEQ} fields there.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Joseph N." wrote in message
[Thought I had posted this recently, but have seen no replies. Seems like
an appropriate post, so I'm trying again. Sorry if this breaches
etiquette.]

I am trying to create a directory merge and have some questions:

1. Is there any way to have merge fields a header? I am merging from a
db which is managing the export/merge operation and handing the desired
fields to Word (Word 2002). I have put the fields in a header, but only
the field names, not the variable database data, result in the finished
document.

2. I am placing the information in a table. It looks like the only way I
can predictably format the borders of the table is to select "all," i.e.,
lines between and around all of the cells. Does other formatting--like
only above and below each row/record--have to wait until after the merge
operation is completed?

3. Why does LISTNUM work but not SEQ? SEQ does not advance; all rows are
numbered "1."

TIA.

--
JN

jbn 'won'oh'won'six'won' at fastmail.fm
Remove spaces, and substitute digits for the words between " ' "