The AutoCorrect setting won't help because it specifies words not to add
capitalization *after.* For example, unless you enter "Mr." as an exception
to sentence capitalization, you'll get "and" capitalized when you type "Mr.
and Mrs." There is no setting that governs capitalization of specific words.

I don't use the Word grammar checker (I'm confident of my grammar and find
it more of a nuisance than a help), but I've never heard of the message you
cite, either, and I don't find anything about it in the KB. Do you have any
add-ins that might be responsible?

I suppose you could disable the "capitalization" setting in the Spelling &
Grammar Options. Beyond that, I don't know what to suggest.

"Brian" wrote in message
news
Suzanne,

Adding 'meta' to the custom dictionary was the first thing I tried. It

makes
no difference. 'meta' is in both my custom dictionary and my list of
autocorrect words to ignore. My suspicion is that this capitalization

feature
of Word does not use either list. The curious thing is that despite

extensive
searching, I have not been able to find mention of this 'some words must
always be capitalized' feature in the Microsoft Help or on their web site.

I also tried calling a professional PC help service: they can easily
replicate the problem, but they have no way of removing the specific word.
Their only suggestion was to turn the grammar check feature off.

-Brian

-Brian

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Try adding "meta" (uncapitalized) to your custom dictionary.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Brian" wrote in message
Thanks for the quick response Mary. Unfortunately I already added meta

that list and it made no difference. You can demonstrate this for

yourself
by
adding meta to the list as you described, then creating a new document

and
typing 'This is my test of the word meta. Will it underline?' Meta

will be
underlined in green and will come up as a capitalization grammar

exception.

"Mary" wrote:

FormatAuto correct Options Auto correctexceptions other

corrections and
add meta as "do not correct."

"Brian" wrote:

I am using the word 'meta' in my document. For reasons unknown to

me,
everytime I do a grammar check, Word flags 'meta' for

capitalization.
The
help for this begins with 'Some words are always capitalized'.

Meta
should
not be one of those words.

I don't want to turn the grammar check feature off, and I don't

want
ignore this rule, I only want to exclude 'meta' from the words

that
must
always be capitalized. Cna anyone help?