Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Brian,

What version of Word and what language is set for the
text where you're using meta? Do you have a sample
of the context in which you're using the term?

I wasn't able to duplicate the problem in Word by
copying and pasting the text from your original posted message.

If you open your custom dictionary file from Tools=Options=
Spelling and Grammar and check your autocorrect lists as well
do the terms Meta or meta appear there?

=======
"Brian" wrote in message news Suzanne,

Adding 'meta' to the custom dictionary was the first thing I tried. It makes
no difference. 'meta' is in both my custom dictionary and my list of
autocorrect words to ignore. My suspicion is that this capitalization feature
of Word does not use either list. The curious thing is that despite extensive
searching, I have not been able to find mention of this 'some words must
always be capitalized' feature in the Microsoft Help or on their web site.

I also tried calling a professional PC help service: they can easily
replicate the problem, but they have no way of removing the specific word.
Their only suggestion was to turn the grammar check feature off.

-Brian