Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stacey Stacey is offline

Default Word 2003 Mail Merge cannot open Excel 2003 document

Peter,

I redid it and saved as a csv file again and it worked! Thanks so much for
all of your helpful information.

Stacey
"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

From your other response I'd guess that something might have broken in
Office and I'd consider using the Detect and Repair facility (e.g. in Word
Help). However, I would first try
a. creating a very simple data source in Word (say, two rows and two
columns) and see if that works OK
b. exporting that as a plain text file and see if that works OK as a data
source
c. creating a very simple data source in Excel and see if that works OK.
You can also try checking Word Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversions at
open", going through the connection process again, and trying each of the
methods offered.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"stacey" wrote in message
No the excel workbook is closed. I open word and then ask to open the
data
source. that is when it says cannont open data source.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Is the Excel workbork already open (e.g., do you have your old mail merge
main document with the Excel workbook attached open as you work, or are
you
starting from a Word template that has the Excel sheet attached as a data
source)?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"stacey" wrote in message
I use mail merge all of the time and am baffled by this one. I just did
mail merge project where I merged data from an excel spreadsheet into a
word
document. I need to create a new mail merge using a new word document
and
the same spreadsheet and it comes up as if it is opening excel and than
says
word cannot open document. I have tried everything I can possibly
think
of.
Any suggestions?