Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Default Preferred width

As far as I know there is no conflict between percentages and measurements
but preferred width is just that, preferred. If (and it can be quite a big
if) there are no constraining factors your preferred width will be honoured
but if some cells have a fixed width or the table has a fixed size or the
autofit settings force some other behaviour or ... you get the picture - it
can be a bit of a black art.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

schreef in bericht
oups.com...
Could someone please describe when they take effect? I googled it,
and most of the time, it is referred to in a soup of to-do's to
achieve a specific effect. This parameter exists for table, column,
and cell tabs for table properties. They can be hard coded in inches
or relatively coded as a percentage. On some tables, I have 100% for
all 3 tabs, and for another, I have 100% on some tabs, and 5.93" in
another. The confusing thing is that the setting seems to have a life
of its own, and it doesn't seem to mattter whether I specify
percentages or inches, it will take on the form that it does no matter
what. When does one tab take precedence over the other, when is
percentage enforced, and when is inches enforced? I was hoping that
something as fundamental as this behaviour would be clearly
documented, but I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks a million.