Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
InvisibleDuncan InvisibleDuncan is offline

Default Access to Word mailmerge staggeringly slow

Thank you both for the help so far, but unfortunately it hasn't managed to
solve the problem. Including 'SQLStatement:="Select * From " & strTableName'
and omitting 'SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeWord2000' gives me a different error:
"This operation cannot be completed because of dialog or database engine
failures. Please try again later."

Using the combination of the two is the only way I have found of getting it
work at all between Access and Word 2003, but this is unfortunately causing
the ridiculous slowness. I presume it is because it's now using DDE instead
of OLE DB, but I can't find a way around it.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

To do "example 1" you have to

/include/

SQLStatement:="Select * From " & strTableName, _

and /omit/

SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeWord2000

and personally I would consider either removing the COnnection parameter
altogether or setting it to ""

Example 1 should connect using OLE DB

Example 2 should connect using DDE, which is likely the cause of your
problem.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 22/02/2010 09:22, InvisibleDuncan wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, Doug, but I do already use that statement in my
revised code, as in the example I posted originally. Using that statement
allows it to run without prompting for a table, but it's one of the things
that makes it really slow. It's the speed I'm having issues with at the
moment.

Cheers,

--
Duncan

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Try using the first (SQL Statement:= ) method in that knowledge base
article.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.