This is overkill. On the ruler, drag the Hanging Indent marker to 1.8"
(you'll need to press Alt to set it there, though; if you can be satisfied
with 1.75" or 1.88", then just drag to one of the preset stops). Word
automatically sets a tab stop at the hanging indent. Daiya's advice to add
Space After is good, however.

Whenever you press indent, you'll get another paragraph in the same format.
Of course, if you want this to be truly consistent, you would be better
advised to apply a suitably formatted style. Interestingly, there is no
built-in "Body Text Hang" style, but the List styles have a built-in hanging
indent that can be customized.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
I would select All (control-A). Then click on the ruler to set your 1.8
tab. Then go to Format | Paragraph and set a 1.8 hanging indent. While

you
are in Format | Paragraph, also add some Space After, which will save you
hitting enter twice between paragraphs to skip a line (which is bad
practice). Click to un-select all.

Then you should be able to type your date, hit tab once to go to 1.8, and
have the lines wrap to start at 1.8.

If you are going to make lots of documents like this, you should create a
template or use styles to apply the formatting.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...sOnStyles.html
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart1.htm

And you may find this article useful:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/SettingTabs.htm

On 4/29/05 2:33 PM, "Jim" wrote:

I am fairly new to Word, and I am using Word 2000.

I have my left margin set at 1". I then type a date, i.e. 04/27/05, hard
against the left margin. I then want to set a hanging indent (I think)

at
1.8". At the 1.8" mark I am going to start typing my text, which may or

may
not have multiple lines. If it does have multiple lines, I want each

line to
start at 1.8".

Once I have finished my text, I will skip a line and enter another date,
i.e. 04/28/05, against the left margin. Then I want to start typing text

at
1.8" again, just as in the paragraph above.

I am sure there has to be a simple way to do this, but the Help menus

are
lousy in my opinion and I sure haven't found the answer.

When I was using WordPerfect, I would set a tab at 1.8", and before I
started typing my text I entered CTRL + F7, and the insertion point

jumped to
1.8" and stayed there until I entered a Hard Return.

I would appreciate any help someone can give.

Thanks,
Jim

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word