Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Soccerman58

Default Customize Outline Numbered List box question

Hi
Yes, I am using that template in the Customize numbers list, and I did reset
it before I started and I did reset my Heading one to No Style as in the link
that you sent me.
Chapter numbering based on Heading One SEEMS to be working fine. It's the
1.1, 1.1.1 that won't work. I have this:
Chapter 1
(seems to be working 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, 2.1 etc) but it's after chapter 1
it seems to get sqirly:
Chapter 2
1.1 (!)
2.1
1.1.1 (!)
2.1.1 (!)
1.1.1.1 (!!)

In the Customize Numbered List I assigned a ListNum field List Name and
linked the levels to the proper style: 1=1, 2=2 etc. At level 1 I inserted
the word Chapter before the number in the Number Format box. Works ok.

I really think the issue is something to do with the Previous Level Number
field. At Level 2 I pick 1,2,3 from the Number Style options and check the
Restart Numbering after Level box to be after Level 1. Pick Apply Changes to
Whole List option.
Now, I have the number 1, highlighted in gray, in the Number Format box, and
the Previous Level Number box is still blank. The Preview Panel for Level 2
also shows a single 1. I leave Restart At field to be 1 for all levels (could
be a mistake there, but I doubt it).

Now I am sure I have to put something in the Previous Level Number box,
otherwise if it doesn't know the previous level number it won't know what it
has to increment from. So, for the Level 2 setup I'll pick Level 1 as the
previous level. As of now, it's the only option.

Now it gets a bit interesting. A second 1 has appeared in the Number Format
field, both are gray highlighted, and there is no period between them. The
Previous Level field is STILL BLANK. So, I'll put a period between the two 1s
so I have 1.1
NOw the Previous level Box shows Level 1 and the Preview Panel shows 1.1

I do the same at Level 3. Previous Level =2, Restart after 2, Apply to whole
List, put a period between the two 1s and add another 1 so I have 1.1.1.

Same for Level 4. Previous level is level 3, Restart numbering after level
3, Apply to whole list, Start at 1. Interestingly, even tho I am now down to
level 4, I still only get two 1s in gray in the Number Format field, so this
time I have to split them with a . and add .1.1 so now I have 1.1.1.1 OK, OK,
apply

So now it looks like this
Chapter 1
1.1
1.1.1
2.1.1
1.2.1.1
2.2.1.1
Chapter 2
1.2
2.2
1.2.1
2.2.1
3.2.1
1.3.1.1

Make any sense, please?
Thanks
Phil

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you want numbering like this:

1
1.1
1.1.1
1.1.1.1
1.1.1.1

then start by selecting the second (or, if you are using heading styles, the
fifth) pane in the Outline Numbered list gallery, which already has this
numbering applied.

"Soccerman58" wrote in message
Hi
I am reading the primer at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html
and I have done all that she says (starting even with a blank document
format) and I am setting my number levels.

She says: 3 Numbering for all lower levels.
For second and subsequent levels, indicate in the Previous Level Number

box
whether you want to include the number from the previous level.

I am not entirely sure what she means here. I would think it would be
something to do with the numbering after 1.1.1 etc. By which I mean I

would
have thought that it would control numbering when you get to a scheme

like:

Chapter 1
1.1
1.1.1
1.1.2

Chapter 2
2.1
2.2
2.2.1
2.3
2.3.1
2.3.1.1

and so on.

But, if I try to make an entry in that space (let's say I am formatting
Level 5 and I pick Level 4 from that dropdown, then the Preview panel goes
nuts, and at level 5 I have something like 11.1.1..1 and the only way I

can
override this again is by typing 1.1.1.1.1 in the Number Format field.

Can anyone enlighten me please?
Thanks
Phil