Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Buddha Buddha is offline

Default right margin doesnt work properly

I have an existing document in Word 2003. I've selected all and re-set the
page at 8-1/2x11 portrait with one-ince margins all around in Page Setup.
This places the little right-hand margin "home plate" looking do-dad at 6.5
inches in Print Layout. However, all text stops at 6.0 and then goes to the
next line, leaving, in efect, a 1-1/2 inch margin at right.

If I select all, page setup, and make the right-hand margin 4-inches, it
does the same thing. Instead of having four inches I should be able to write
in, I have only 3-1/2 inches with a right hand margin of four inches plus the
half inch I can't put text in.

It does the same thing whether I have everything lined up against the left
margin, the right margin, or justified - I get that extra half inch of white
space.

I've verified that the document contains no comments or marked changes.

I can game the system by setting the right-hand margin at 1/2 inch. That
way, I can get text written all the way out to the one inch margin, but I
guess I'd rather know what is really going on.