Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Elizabeth[_3_] Elizabeth[_3_] is offline

Default Word 2007: Custom dictionaries

In message , Jay Freedman
writes
Hi Elizabeth,

You can have multiple custom dictionaries for a single language, and you can
switch them on and off individually (go to Office button Word Options
Proofing Custom Dictionaries and check/uncheck them). So you could have
both a science.dic and a philosophy.dic stored in the UProof folder, and
turn on only one of them for a particular document.

What you can't do -- except perhaps with a macro -- is automatically
associate a particular dictionary or set of dictionaries with a particular
document.

As an aside, when you have more than one custom dictionary active at the
same time, one of them is always designated as the "default" custom
dictionary, the one into which new words will be added during
spell-checking. That's the purpose of the Change Default button in the
Custom Dictionaries dialog. It's worth double-checking which dictionary is
the default, to save yourself the work of rearranging entries later.

Thanks, Jay. I understand what to do now. I hadn't realised that I could
uncheck my own custom dictionaries, nor what the Change Default button
would do.

I'm pretty much up to speed with Word 2007 in terms of ordinary use,
except for one other thing I haven't been able to figure out. But I'll
post that as a separate topic.

Many thanks again.

--
Elizabeth