Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default How can I defer the "parsing" of a mail merge field in MS Word

I am not 100% certain what you mean. It will always be necessary to merge to
a new document and then update the fields in that new document to produce
the individual graphics in the merge, when you are using a mergefield in the
manner described in the web page.
The fields in the merge source document (which is what I assume you mean by
the 'template') should always contain the fields - regardless of what they
actually display in that document (confirm by pressing ALT+F9). It is a
limitation on the way the field updating works (or rather doesn't work).

Townfield wrote:
Graham,

Though I have successfully produced the MERGED document following the
described process right through to the end, there is still the
problem of the TEMPLATE file having the fields within the
INCLUDEPICTURE field parsed to their result (rather than being left
as a field reference) after the file has ben saved.

This requires that the template be re-worked to support a subsequent
mail-merge-print run. Is there anything else that I'm doing wrong /
got configured incorrectly that would cause this unhelpful
charateristic? ...or is that just the way it works?

I am on Office 2003 SP3 [11.8307.8221] and XP SP3.

Thanks,
Kevin

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You need to merge to a new document then update the fields -
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm

Townfield wrote:
I have a database (spreadsheet) of people's details containing a
"frame" number that refers to their photograph. I'm trying to use
mail-merge (labels) to produce a picture summary card. I've
constructed the following merge field within the (label) layout for
the picture - {INCLUDEPICTURE {DOCPROPERTY Category}{MERGEFIELD
"Frame"}.jpg \d} - this nearly works in that I get the layout I
want, however though there are different personal details on each
summary card, every card has the same photo.

It would appear that the {MERGEFIELD "Frame"} embedded in the
{INCLUDEPICTURE} field is enumerated / parsed BEFORE the mail-merge
design function propergates the labels.

Does anyone have any clues on how I can work round this
"characteristic" please?