Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jim Snively

Default Saving Mail Merge Documents

The documents I am trying to open is what I would call a shell document. It
has merge fields that are extracted from a table in an Access DB. I am
getting a message that the data source cannot be found. When I reconnect to
the database the record selection criteria (particular field is non blank)
is not remembered. The document started life in Word 97, is now Word 2002.
In Word 97 the document remembered where the mdb file was and which table
and records were wanted. I want a non-technical person to be able to print
selected letters from the mail merge file and reconnecting the data source
and renetering the criteria may be more than she should have to handle.

Thanks,

Jim Snively

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Are these documents actually Word templates, or do they have attached
templates that are also attached to the same data source? if so, try
removing the data source from the template.

Are you seeing any messages about executing SQL, or just a message that
the data source cannot be found, some other message, or no message at all
when the mail merge main document is opened? I don't have enough info. to
tell if it is relevant, but it may also be worth checking out the
following KB article:

"Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message When You Open a
Word Document"
at
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

Peter Jamieson

"Jim Snively" wrote in message
I have several mail merge documents that use an access database table as a
data source. We recently moved from Office 97 to Office 2003 and it seems
the location of the data source and the record selection criteria are not
being saved with the (shell) document. Can anyone help me get this
information linked with the saved shell document?

Thanks,

Jim Snively