Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Replace an image with another one

If you see a field code when you press Alt+F9 (as I imagine you would), you
should be able to convert it to an embedded image by pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9
(which unlinks it).

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
I guess that is what it is. Is there a way to change an OLE into a regular
image?

Jeff

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Sounds like it is an OLE object; note that these do add to the file
size and complexity of the document.

wrote in message
Thank you Kara. I think I discovered the cause of the problem. I am
working on a second edition of a book I wrote a few years ago and
because it is a long manuscript, I am working on a copy of the
original Word document and making my corrections on that copy which
I called "2nd edition ....." instead of retyping everything.

Your comment about the toolbar gave me a clue. I know that toolbar
appears whenever i click on other images in the document, but on
this troublesome image it did not. Aha!

So I double clicked on the image and it opened up an ancient graphics
program called ABC SnapGraphics. I usualy create my images in a true
graphic program (PaintShop Pro) but for some weird reason I had done
this one in SnapGraphics, probably because it was a modification of
an image I had used in the past in my lectures. Any way I just made
my changes in ABC SnapGraphics (which fortunately was still on my
computer) and now I do not need to replace the "image".

I guess it was what might be called a linked image (?) and not a
jpeg or similar.

Jeff

Kara the Computer Tutor wrote:
Hi Jeff,

There's also a trick to moving pictures around. I don't have Word
2002, but I have 2003, and I'm sure it's very similar:

1. Click on the new photo you've inserted to highlight it.

2. Look for the picture toolbar somewhere one your screen. If it's
not there, click on View, then Toolbars, then Picture.

3. To the right of the Picture Toolbar is an icon with a little dog
in it. Click on it.

4. Click on either "In Front of Text" or "Behind Text." It doesn't
matter which.

5. Now you should be able to move your picture wherever you want it
to go on your page.

Kara
http://www.karathecomputertutor.com

" wrote:

Using Word 2002 in XP
I hate to ask a stupid question, but is there a way to replace an
existing image in a Word document with a different one? The reason
I as is because when I delete the present one and then insert the
new one, the new image goes into a different location and covers
the text below it, etc. Is there a trick to doing this so the new
image goes where the old one was?

Jeff