Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

Default Hyphenation in a TOC

On Jan 30, 8:32*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You have to realize that text in the TOC is part of a field, so its behavior
is governed by whatever laws are applied to fields. But are we talking about
justifying text or hyphenating it? Those will be two entirely different
things. Keep in mind that the TOC entries, if they include page numbers, are
going to include a right-aligned tab stop and a tab character, which would
prevent them from being justified. And it may be that the style (or the
field) is formatted as "Do not check spelling or grammar," which would
prevent hyphenation. When you apply the TOC style to text that is not in a
table of contents, it does not include the tab stop for page numbers (which
is generated dynamically) nor the tab character (ditto), so it would behave
differently outside the TOC. Regardless of whether the headings themselves
are justified, I can see absolutely no defense of trying to have the TOC
entries justified.

What is weird is that the paragraphs will not hyphenate even AFTER
being cut and pasted out of the field or the link to the field is
broken. However, they will hyphenate if you do a paste special as text
and apply the TOC.

styles.

I wish I could convince users to do things the easy way....but I can't.