Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Default Can Mail Merge include a space at the beginning of a field?

I have tested this and the only time that the space is skipped is when the
DDE method of connection to the data is used. Ff you use the Excel converter
(grab it from my web site if yours doesn't work) the space is retained.

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. Then when
you attach the data source to the mail merge main document, you will be
given the option of using the alternative methods of connection.

Joshua wrote:
Thanks, Graham...I appreciate it. I can't manually insert a space,
or use the \b switch. Here's why. Imagine this set up.

My columns in excel contain paragraphs broken into 255 character
chunks. In the word doc, I have multiple merge fields that
essentially rebuild the paragraphs, 255 characters at a time. Since
I have multiple records, some of the fields begin with a space and
some don't. For those that do begin with a space, Mail Merge doesn't
insert the space at the beginning.

Example one trouble record:
In excel
Field_One ends with - "...while the"
Field_Two begins with - " focus of..." (notice the space before
focus).

In word:
My merge fields are stacked in word like this...with no space in
between. { MERGEFIELD Field_One }{ MERGEFIELD Field_Two }

The merged result looks like this:
"...while thefocus of..." (notice no space between the and focus)

Do you have any ideas how to fix this? I can't add the space manually
as it would have this effect on other records (eg.."fo cus").

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Use a \b switch on the field to place the space (though why can't
you simply insert the space manually or conditionally between the
fields?)

eg { MERGEFIELD First_Name }{ MERGEFIELD Last_Name \b " " }
will put a space between the fields.

Joshua wrote:
I'm performing a Mail Merge that combines text stored in Excel into
a Word doc. Each field contains 255 characters (max for mail
merge) and once in Word, the fields are combined to create
paragraphs.

Here's the problem. Some fields begin the a space. Mail Merge
removes this space. By removing the space, it causes the last word
of the previous field to combine with the first word of the field
with the space.

How do I get Mail Merge to recognize and include a space at the
beginning of the field?