Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Mail Merge: If ... then ... else

The three listed commands that control fields quickly become second nature
when working with merge documents.

Mark Parent wrote:
Thanks much.... At the risk of sounding like Chandler Bing, all that
Alt-F9, Ctrl-F9, F9 couldn't BE more complicating, but I'm away to
the races now. Cheers !

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Yes. It's generally easier to insert this kind of "nested field"
using the keyboard rather than the drop down lists and so on - you
need a. to enable the Mail Merge toolbar (View|Toolbars in WOrd
2002,2003, it automatically appears for mailmerge documents in
earlier versions) Use the button to switch between "field view"
where you see fieldname and "data preview" where you see some
result data b. Alt-F9 to toggle between "field code view" where you
see { MERGEFIELD fieldname } and "field view"/preview. You may find
that fields disappear as you insert them and you need to use Alt-F9
to get them back. c. select one or more fields and press F9 to
update their values d. ctrl-F9 to insert /each/ pair of the special
"field code braces"

The field you need is

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD field1 }" = "" "{ MERGEFIELD field2 }" "{
MERGEFIELD field3 }" }

If you don't like all the quotes in this case you can probably get
away with

{ IF { MERGEFIELD field1 } = "" { MERGEFIELD field2 } { MERGEFIELD
field3 } }

but I advise you to stick with what I suggested.

If the field name "field1" actually has spaces in it, e.g. is "field
1", then you need even more quotes to surround the name, e.g.

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD "field 1" }" = "" "{ MERGEFIELD field2 }" "{
MERGEFIELD field3 }" }

Peter Jamieson

"Mark Parent" wrote in message
I understand that I can use this function to check a field in my
merge data,
and insert one or another text string into my Word document. What
I'd like
to do is use a field in my merge data to direct which of two merge
fields to
print. Is there a way to implement something like:
If [FIELD1] is Empty then [FIELD2] else [FIELD3] ?