Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Twayne Twayne is offline

Default error message: file is ready only

In Word 2003, a weird error message occurs when I try to save a long
file I have been working on now for 4 months. Word suddently today
will not let me save the file under its own long-used name, but
instead insistently gives me an error message that this file is now
somehow an inaccessible "read-only file." Yet. I have not set it as
read-only, and when I right click and go to properties in the
file/open menu (with word or explorer) the file read-only box is NOT
checked.

I also tried the Word recommendation to rename both files, then
change the most recent renamed, saved file name back to the old one.
I did this, and it started doing the same thing read-only stuff again?

Now I have to change the name of my file ten times a day just to save
it?

Sounds like somehow Word's Options got set to make that a read-only
file. This read only has nothing to do with Properties; it's how
windows will open the file; read only in this case. It is settable on a
per file basis.

Do the opposite to remove the read-only. Look in Word's Help for
read-only
and it should explain that and more.

Prompt to open a file as read-only
You can suggest, but not require, that users open a document as
read-only. If a user opens the document as read-only and changes it,
that person can save the document only by giving it a different file
name.

1.. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2.. Click Security.
3.. Select the Read-only recommended check box, and then click OK.
4.. Click Save.